Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cooper's birthday, my sweet husband and funny Haden

Cooper had a good birthday complete with dinner at the Mongolian Grill, presents to open and birthday cake and ice cream. We made the mistake of letting him open his Star Wars presents first, so then he didn't want to have anything to do with the clothes that both sets of grandparents got him or the books he received. You could not get him to pay attention to other presents once he saw R2D2. I'm glad he liked them so much!


Cooper getting ready to put R2D2 on the cake because there just weren't enough characters on it! They don't make Star Wars cakes anymore, so I just had them do the background for the Yoda cake they used to make and I put some characters we already had on it. He loved it!


As you all may know, Jim thinks that buying flowers in a waste of money. He bought them for me all the time when we were dating and most of the time there was no special occasion that corresponded. It was really nice. Then, we got married and he decided it was a waste of money to buy flowers because they just die. I think the first time he bought me flowers after we got married was for Mother's Day 2 months before I had Kenedy. That was not quite 18 months into our marriage. I have learned to accept this because he buys flowers when I have a baby and he buys me other things like clothes, shoes or purses quite often. I did, however tell him about a month ago that I really do like it when he gets me flowers and it would be nice every once in awhile. I thought that might get him to buy me flowers for my birthday, but it did not. So, I teased him quite a bit about my hints not quite getting through.

So, yesterday, he came home from work a little late which isn't too unusual, but when he walked in he had some beautiful red roses in his hand--just for the heck of it. My teasing about missing flowers for my birthday must have done the trick! :)


Aren't they gorgeous! I was very excited!

A little later, I was getting ready to go to book group and he asked me if I had read the card. I said yes. He said there was another part to my present. He said, "You know me. I can't just get flowers because they will just die. I had to get you something else as well." Hallie went out to his car and brought in a bag from Gart Sports. I opened the bad and it contained a volleyball. I was very excited. He knows I have been wanting a "real" volleyball for awhile now. It is the same as the ones that I played with in High School and just better quality than a lot of volleyballs--not so hard on your arms when you hit it. We realized, however that he bought the training volleyball for kids 12 & under, so he is searching today for the one for adults. Nice going, honey. You can get me fun presents anytime!


So, I got home from Book Group last night and went into the boy's room to say goodnight to Haden. I kissed him on the cheek and he was still awake. Then I noticed he wasn't wearing his pajamas. I said "Haden, why are you sleeping without your pajamas on?" He said, "That's what men do." I swear I don't ever know what that boy is going to say. So, I went in there later to take a picture of him after he went to sleep.


I asked him about it again this morning and he said that Anakin doesn't sleep with pajamas on, so he thought he'd try it out. I love Star Wars, but maybe he's been watching it a little too much! What a funny boy!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thats what men do. That's too awesome for words.

donna said...

Haden is so funny!

beautiful flowers and a Volley ball. wow what a great night for you.
i also enjoy flowers.. every-time ryan takes the boys to costco, jakob always tell ryan to get flowers for me..
i think jakob will make one great hubby for a girl some-day....

have a great time in portland....
see you Monday. Oh monday i start working on miss emily's room.... stressful :)

Jen Childers said...

That is a funny pic of Haden. Your roses are beautiful and a volleyball to go with it...even better! Have fun in Portland!