Sunday, August 29, 2010

In memory of John Franklin Carey

On June 3, 2010, Jim's dad passed away.  I've just spent the last few minutes looking through pictures to find some good ones to post and I must say, it was rather difficult.  He lived an amazing life on this earth and was a blessing to everyone that was privileged to know him.  I am so very grateful for the man that he is and everything that he taught Jim, my children and myself.

He was one who, when visiting museums and historical places, would take the time to read every plaque because he loved to learn.  He was always sending our family articles that he would find in the newspaper that were related to things the kids were interested in or that he thought we would enjoy reading about.  He was a teacher by trade and found ways to teach his family always.  I was helping Lexie clean her room the other day and noticed that she had put one of the articles he had sent to her up on her wall.  It made me happy to see that she, too, cherished those letters from grandpa.

He was an amazing example of charity.  I don't think I can remember ever hearing him say an unkind thing about anyone.  He always found the good in people and was ready and willing to serve anyone who needed it.  I know that my family is better for the service that he has given us.

I hope, that as my children continue to grow, they will cherish those memories they have of their grandpa and that they can share those memories with Calvin.  Unfortunately, Calvin didn't get as much time with grandpa as the other kids, but we will try to help him know how wonderful his grandpa is.  While at the funeral, one of Jack and Shirlee's friend's came up to me and told me that she wanted to share a story with me.  While I was at my grandma's 90th birthday party in Idaho, Jim took the kids to Bend so they could visit Jack, who had just gotten out of the hospital.  They went to sacrament meeting on Sunday and Calvin was sitting on someone's lap right next to Jack.  This sweet woman said that she looked up to where they were sitting and she saw this sweet little boy(Calvin) stroking his grandpa's face softly.  She said it was one of the most touching things that she had ever seen.  I'm grateful that she shared that with me.  I think that Calvin knew his grandpa better than we thought he did and somehow he knew that this would be the last time he would see him.  I wish I could have been there to see him with the rest of the family, but I'm so grateful they got that weekend with him before he passed away.

I'm truly grateful to have had him in my life for the past 15 + years and look forward to when we will see him again.

Jack loved to golf and during the first few years of our marriage, Jim was able to golf with him quite a bit.

Kenedy's baptism

Jack, Shirlee and their four wonderful children--Jan, Jill, Kim and Jim.  This was taken on our cruise to Alaska.

On our cruise to Alaska in May 2005

Here he is studying the informational plaque at a lighthouse on the Oregon Coast.  That's little Haden in the background.

Jack and Shirlee's 50th wedding anniversary in Lincoln City, OR.

At the Portland Zoo teaching Cooper about this exhibit.

The Carey clan, all except Jill and her family, in Lincoln City, July 2009.

I just love this picture of two of my boys and their grandpa.

Our fabulous dinner at Denny's in Philadelphia as we tried, unsuccessfully, to make it to our cruise on the Mediterranean.

Goodbye Dad.  We love you and can't wait to see you again!

5 comments:

Jen Childers said...

What a sweet tribute to your father in law. Christopher came back from the funeral being so impressed by who this man was that he has started doing some of the things he learned that he did through his life. Thanks for sharing.

Jen Childers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
donna said...

Michelle.
Such a wonderful tribute. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Amiee House said...

I only met Jack a couple of times, but knowing Jim and your family I would say he was a great man. Thanks for posting this:)

Love you